Friday, December 4, 2009

Mashed Sweet Potatoes -- WW Friendly

Sweet potatoes were on sale at Bloom this week and the Weight Watchers recipe gave me some ideas so here is my take on making mashed sweet potatoes:

Cut 2 large sweet potatoes into cubes. Bring to a boil and cook until very soft. (I cooked them for about 20 minutes then let them sit in the hot water with the stove off because I needed to run out to the train. When I got back 30 minutes later, they were perfect!)

Drain sweet potatoes and mash by hand. The softer they are, the easier this will be. Add 1 container of vanilla yogurt and mix well. I used full fat yogurt and did not need to add any extra sugar.

At this point, the dish is 2 Weight Watchers points and serves 4 people. The following toppings are good but not necessary and can add points:

Chopped nuts
Maple syrup -- drizzle on
Marshmallows
Powdered sugar

To add some depth to the potatoes, sprinkle in some cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or pumpkin pie spice. None of these will add points.

More recipes to come! Happy Eating!




No comments:

Post a Comment